Thursday, October 15, 2015

Staring at nowhere

​People who stare - 

On the subway - once upon a time every minute was precious, a thirteen minute ride offered time to study for an exam, 
to read a chapter, to figure out the harmonies of a piece I'm playing.

And there were those who stare, into the distance, searching, or with problems they couldn't figure out at home.

Now there is an army of phones, each offering pre-occupation to its owner. On a good day, I write emails. Others play bejeweled, and others zone out to music.

And there are those who stare, looking for a solution to a problem, numb, maybe hoping it will come as the cars shake.

Sometimes I am now one who stares. The problems are too big. The solution is elusive, if it exists.

For example: is there a way around the trade-off, of an affordable apartment with space and sunlight, and riding this goddamn subway for almost more hours than I practice violin in my apartment with space and sunlight?

2 comments:

  1. This is the thing, isn't it? I used to take the train far too early for good health to go to graduate school and then practice because THAT was time that I wouldn't be practicing anyways! I would stare, and then I started to blog. If I stayed awake! :) I enjoy your posts. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Alice!
      Is your blog public too? It must be neat to go back and read things from grad-school time, and all that went into making grad school happen. Cheers back,

      Delete